Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sydney to Brisbane

I am writing my blogs from the very beginning of the trip since I was not able to do them in Australia. This blog starts from Sydney and goes to Brisbane.

In Sydney we went to the Australian museum and the Hyde Park Barracks, which was very interesting. Got to learn about the Aboriginal people and understand how they lived. I felt bad for them because the British took their land. It is very sad but in the end it all worked out.

The Sydney Aquarium and the Taronga Zoo was a great experience. It was a lot of fun to see all the different animals. One animal at the aquarium that I thought was interesting was the upside down jellyfish. It is an amazing creature and looks nothing like a jellyfish that I have seen before. The most unusual animal I saw at the zoo would probably be the wombat. This is because I never actually realized how big it is. This Australian animal is huge but at the same time is very adorable.

The Blue Mountains was amazing! It was foggy and rainy in the morning but in the afternoon it cleared up and was beautiful. It was cool to also see the three sisters and the story behind it. One thing I did not like about this day is that I fell down the stairs! I was not paying attention and I just slipped. Got a huge bruise but in the end was ok.

Our trip to Canberra was long but not bad. We took a bus that was about three or so hours long. At Canberra we went to the Parliament House, U.S. Embassy, and the ANZAC War Memorial. It was very interesting to hear about the Parliament house and how it is both similar and different to the U.S. One major difference and the most obvious one is that the Australian government has a Queen while the Untied States has a President. It is also interesting to hear about the U.S. embassy and how Australians work there. This makes sense since it is a lot cheaper this way. One of the most honorable things that Australia has would be the War Memorial. The memorial shows exactly how much Australians care for their troops and how much they respect them. My favorite part of the exhibit was the wall with all of the names of the people who died in service. It was sad to see how many people died but nice to see how many people respect them and honor them for serving their country.

Brisbane has had the best weather so far. Finally we get nice weather and no rain. The best part about Brisbane has been the Koala Sanctuary. It was so cool to learn about the koalas and what they do in a day. I learned how they sleep 20 hours a day! I thought that was crazy. Also got to learn about the platypus, which was very interesting. I think that the platypus is my favorite Australian animal. It is just adorable. Got to see many other animals too like the kangaroo, wombat, and dingo. Overall one of the best days so far.

Hanna Rodriguez

No comments:

Post a Comment