Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sudden Changes

As we travelled we had the opportunity to see a wide range of climates, environments, and other surroundings. Going from Sydney where it was a large city with lots of people, cold at times, and large skyscrapers and ending up in Alice Springs in the outback of Australia allowed us to see so much. Each city was different from the next whether it was the temperature or environment. One of the biggest changes that I experienced was when we flew from Alice Springs to Sydney. We went from a desert atmosphere to a large urbanized city. This sudden change was a big culture shock for me to handle at first. I was use to seeing lots of mountains and red dirt, and now all of the sudden we were in a concrete jungle. It took me a day or so to get use to the change, but I was soon over the new environment. The way I found best to handle the situation was to just go out and surround yourself with the environment you were in. After walking around the city for about an hour I have gotten use to being around large amounts of people and big buildings. Its hard for me to even imagine what it would be like for someone to come visit Sydney after living in the outback for many years. My transition was not hard at all, but for someone who had never experienced such an environment would certainly experience a large amount of culture shock. The experience of travelling to opposite environments in one day shows me how different two places can be, but only a few hours apart.

Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment