Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

Bush Medicine



I was lucky enough that while I was in Australia I was able to have some true Anangu Bush Medicine practiced on me. While in the outback our tour guide, Scott, stopped at a tree called Dead Finish. The tree was talked about at length, he said it was called a Dead Finish because if the cows on your ranch did start eating it (during a drought or something) it meant that your cows were dead and your ranch was finished, apparently it was a tree of last resort and there was no nutritional value to it what so ever. However, the berries which the tree put off were good for something a lot like pourage. The last factoid about this tree is that the leaves could be used for Bush Medicine, when a person has warts they would stick the leaf (which was like a pine from a pine tree) into the wart. About three to four at a time and they would repeat this three to four times a day for two or three days. So I said "I have a wart and so he stuck three pines into the wart on my hand. Here is the picture, it's kind of hard to see them, but they are there trust me. Once they were in I felt a weird tingle in my hand, just around the wart. Very cool to see/feel that it was actually working. Scott said to try and keep them in until lunch, while I did not succeed at this I left all of them in until they fell out one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment