Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Camping in the Outback Day One

I am feeling a little sassy because I have still not adjusted to American time. I apologize for my weak attempt at humor. When we arrived in Alice Springs in Central Australia it seemed just like the Outback. I had no idea what was in store for me when we actually went to the Outback. After about a five hour drive to actually GET to the Outback in our four wheel drive it was much more empty than I was expecting. After stopping to watch the sunrise and watch Brittany eat a grub (yummy) we made our way to King’s Canyon. When we arrived, we were offered a short cut or to go up the steep mountain called heart attack hill. Being the athlete I am, I hiked up the mountain with vigor and still had energy left for the rest of the walk around the whole King’s Canyon. This is a lie. That was one of the hardest workouts I’ve ever had. Let me tell you that hill is appropriately named. After huffing and puffing I rounded up the end of the line with Charlie by my side. (Only because he has to stick with the slow walkers. Let’s say I got to know him pretty well on this trip). Finishing the hike around King’s Canyon and successful attempt at not falling on my face was a sigh of relief. Soon after we were transported to collect firewood for our dinner and campfire that night. I clumsily ran into a piece of fire wood and have the cut to prove it, but overall finding firewood was a success. After arriving at our campsite in the middle of no where and the only toilet a bush, many people were not looking forward to what was in sotre for the night. After realizing that there was an infestation of mice that hadclimbed into the bus and was in all of our bags many people were disgusted but I was too tired to care. I had zipped my bags anyways. One of the most important lessons I learned in the Outback that day is to drink lots of water. Even more than they tell you to drink. Speaking from experience I did not drink enough water and passed out in my swag at about 8:45 that night. I could only imagine the intensity of the next day’s workout as I fell asleep under the incredible stars.

Peace. Love. Aussie.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment