Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Great Barrier Reef

The day we went to the Great Barrier Reef was one of the best days to me that we spent while in Australia.I was really looking forward to this day all trip, knowing I would never again be able to do this and tried imagining all the beautiful things of the ocean I would be seeing. The boat ride out was so much fun. Sitting out on the deck in the front was so nice, starring out into the ocean, watching the sun hit the water, it all was so beautiful. Then when we were called into the boat to learn the proper ways and signs when scuba diving made me even more excited, realizing soon I would be swimming in something not many people get the chance in their lives to see and experience. When we finally hit our first spot, I went out with Devin and Brittany Edwards to go snorkling. I decided to not wear a wet suite at first, which I was kinda regretting because it was so cold and windy out, but when we hit the water it got better. Looking into the water, swimming on the top of the surface, it almost didn't seem real to me. There were so many beautiful colors of coral in the sand, and so many different types of fish. I recalled some that I saw from the previous night before when we attended a class on the Great Barrier Reef, but there were still so many more I had no clue about. Then the three of us were called back to the boat because it was our turn to go scuba diving! It was so hard to walk with the giant air tank on my back, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it into the water. I managed to get into it though, and our guide Steve was so nice and so great. He quickly relaxed all of us as we began to swim through the water, going deeper and deeper. Swimming above all of this coral, seeing giant clams and all these amazing fish, it was so great. The colors of each different type of coral and fish was amazing! It was insane how close we were able to get to all this coral and how trusting our guide Steve was with us. It was by far one of the greatest experiences I have been given and I loved every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment