Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Passions of Paradise – Scuba Diving/Great Barrier Reef – 13 May

So far, I love Cairns, a lot! Today we headed out to the Great Barrier Reef on a Passions of Paradise cruise. So beautiful!! The blue water, the coral forest beneath our feet. There are not enough words to describe it; and to top it all off, it was the most beautiful day we have seen yet, even though it was a little breezy. You had to be there.


The night before, we went to a program called Reef Teach that taught us about all of the different types of coral and fish of the Great Barrier Reef so that when we went diving or snorkeling, we knew what we were seeing. Sadly, I did not see much of what we were shown, I still had a great time. I went snorkeling and diving both opportunities. The first dive was just to show us the basics of diving and we were under for about 30 minutes. However, the second dive was so much more fun. As Russell said it best, “If you like the first one, you’ll love the second one,” and boy was he right. We went deeper on the second dive. It made me feel so small to see the vast coral and then cliffs and wide open ocean. We were underwater for about 15 minutes longer this time. It was so beautiful. I bought an underwater camera specifically for this day but Genius Me forgot to take pictures on my first dive. Genius Me also forgot to bring a towel, so I had to buy one of those, too. Sometimes I surprise myself with my stupidity, but anyways, I still have that towel; one of my many souvenirs. All in all, both dives, totally worth it!


After all of the diving and snorkeling and we were heading back to Cairns, the one diving instructors, Simon, was doing some Magic tricks for all of the passengers. On the final card trick, I was the one who helped him. My mind is still blown. I have no idea how he did that trick but it was awesome! I’m really curious to know, but it will ruin it if I know, so I will remain ignorant to it for now.


Today was definitely my favorite event so far. I just love the ocean, and to go Scuba Diving on the Great Barrier Reef was absolutely amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment