Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Beauty of the Great Barrier Reef

As soon as we set sail for the Great Barrier Reef I knew I was going to have a great day already. The sun was out and the temperature was perfect for being on the ocean. It took about an hour to reach the first reef we were going to snorkel on, which wasn’t that long of a trip because we were all enjoying the sun so much after not seeing it much in Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane. Though the trip offered scuba diving conveniently, I had come down with a head cold the day before. So I thought it wasn’t a very good idea to be going scuba diving when I had a lot of pressure in my head anyways. (I guess this means I will have to go back to Australia later in my life and scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef, how unfortunate for me!) Though I was bummed about not being able to scuba dive snorkeling was amazing! As soon as I got all my snorkeling gear on (full wetsuit because it was stinger season, flippers, and a snorkel) I looked in the water I saw bat fish right off the side of the boat looking for handouts from passengers. After taking a small motor boat to the reef Tifany and I jumped right in and enjoyed the view. Everywhere we looked there was coral of all sorts. Brain coral, finger coral and pretty much every type of coral you could imagine. As we were swimming along I saw a giant clam which was really special to see. I also saw sergeant majors and parrot fish but the coolest fish I saw was the cleaner wrasse. The cleaner wrasse sets up a cleaning station where large fish come to be cleaned of their parasites. I saw this station which was amazing because the tiny cleaner wrasse had no fear of the bigger fish even cleaning inside of their mouths! Snorkeling on The Great Barrier Reef was an experience I will never forget and is one of the reasons I want to go back to Australia. That day was as amazing as I was expecting and more! I successfully came back with wonderful pictures from my under water camera and surprisingly no sunburn (:

Peace. Love. Aussie.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment