Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Run with a Roo

One of my goals over the course of this trip was to have an opportunity to just see one of Australia’s national animals, a kangaroo! Not only have I had the chance to see one, but actually touch one! My first run in with these beautiful animals occurred in Sydney at the zoo there. The kangaroos and wallaby’s here were not as friendly as I had hoped, but I still had my first opportunity to touch a small guy! It wasn’t until we were in Brisbane where we got the chance to hang out in one of the coolest environments ever. At the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary was were they gave tourist and locals a chance to feels, touch, pet, and play with these beautiful creatures.

One would think that these animals would be extremely scared of humans, but on the contrary they actually seemed to enjoy their presence. We arrived at a perfect time of the day because we had the whole park to ourselves, and at first were a little hesitant to approach the animals. Once we understood that they actually didn’t mind interacting with us, we opened up to the animals and got a new perception on the personalities and life of a kangaroo.

The next step is to figure out how to get my new wallaby friend through customs. I can’t leave without a new pet, hopefully Elmira College can bend the rules just once and let this cool creature come live with me!

G’day from Down Unda,

Brady Richards ‘14

No comments:

Post a Comment