Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Minimum Wage

When on the plane from Canberra to Brisbane I met a gentlemen sitting next to me and talked with him the whole plane ride. I learned a lot about Australia from him. I was talking to him about pricing in Australia and how expensive everything is. He explained to me that it really isn’t that expensive for them because of how much they get paid. Minimum wage here is $17 an hour, he explained. That just blew me away, no wonder everything cost so much, people are getting paid an extreme amount. It just puts us at a disadvantage being tourists because we have to pay so much for everything. I have gone through over half of my money on just food. I wasn’t expecting to pay so much just to eat, but all the money I saved to come on this trip and do fun things is just going to food and necessities. It is ridiculous how much money I have spent and I haven’t actually bought anything for myself yet. I wasn’t prepared for these costs at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment