Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Bungy and Fitzroy

Our first free day in Cairns was on Saturday and Brina, Sarah, Brittany M., Tiffany and I decided to spend it Bungy jumping at AJ Hackett. The tower was 50 meters, or 160 ft. high. We had to climb 196 steps up to the top where we met two guys that were great at calming our nerves while we were standing over the edge. The first time I jumped I attempted a swan dive, but I ended up flailing my arms around and it looked more like a canon ball. From the top of the tower you can see the ocean and supposedly the reef, but I couldnt tell. The jump was directly over a small man made pond, and if you paid extra you could be junked into the water on your way down. My second jump I decided to take backwards, which ended up being more graceful than the first. When I got the the bottom I stretched my arms out and made it into the water up to my wrists. There happened to be a Japanese tourist groups there at the time and when I bounced back up I could hear them all cheering. In order to get detached from the bungy they lower you down to a boat and bring you over to the side. When I got over there, 4 tourists were telling me how wonderful the jump was and asked if I would take my picture with them. Brina's face when she saw this priceless and she got a picture as well, which i will post when i get a chance. After our second jump, Brina and I went on the Minjin swing, which is like one of the big harnessed swings you see at amusement parks where they bring you up to the top (45m) and drop you so that you fall and then swing back and forth for a while. Come to find out, the pictures that were taken when we were on the swing didnt come through because the computer crashed as we were swinging so we got to go again for free. Darn! The second time it worked though, so we didnt get a third free! The guy running it kept pretending to stand in front of us as we were falling back down across, which was intimidating, but he would duck down at the very last minute. The tourists loved this as well!
Today was another free day so Brina, Jen, Brittany M., Sarah and I all went to Fitzroy Island, a small island off the coast of Cairns. The weather didn't quite cooperate so we didnt get to do the sea kayak tour due to high winds, however we took our own kayaking tour along the beach. It started raining while we were out to see but since we were soaked already it only added to our adventure. Upon return we walked down to Nudey beach, which was apparently named after a person and not an actual Nude beach, although I dont think they care much about what people do there. When we got to the beach the sun came out, so we walked around looking at the heaps of coral that had been washed up onto shore. Brina and I performed a show climbing up onto the water trampoline, but we finally got on and jumped off a couple times. It wasnt as bouncy as I thought it was going to be, especially for a water trampoline. Afterwards we attempted to snorkel, but because of the wind and rain we couldnt even see our own feet when we looked down so that didnt work out. For the second half of our day we took a nap on the beach under the temporary sun until we had to board the ferry back! Even though the weather was the worst its been since we have been here it was an amazing adventure, and we are in Australia so nothing else matters!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment