Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Cairns Part 1

I love Cairns! Its a tourist mecca!
First we went to the butterfly gardens which were so cool, knew they would be. I read that I should wear pink or red so I wore the bright pink underarmor sweatshirt and all the butterflies were landing on me at first it was scary, but after a while it was so cool. I told all my roommates to wear those colors too, but the tour guide said I had the right shade on that’s why the liked me the most. Best underarmour buy ever! The one that kept landing on me was poisonous; did you know there was a poisonous butterfly? I didn't, but its only if you eat it so I was safe. Then I had a hardy german lunch - bratwurst - yum - for only 5.50. And after lunch we did a skyrail ride over the rainforest and then went to the Tjabukee park which was an interactive aboriginal performance. It was pretty cool, they taught us a dance and chat and how to through a boomerang and spear. I was good with the spear throwing because they said its like a tennis swing. Score. It was such a great day!
Still alive after swimming in shark and jelly infested waters! I bet you can guess, but we went to the great barrier reef today. It was such an amazing day. Left the hostle around 7 this morning and were on the sea by 8. We stopped and had an intro (tourist) scuba dive for about 30 minutes. It was really cool, but kind of scary at the same time. I was having a hard time focusing on breathing, trying to take my pictures and keep up with my tour guide. So I didn't get too many pictures.. After our dive we went snorkeling and played in the water. We had lunch on the boat and then went to paradise cove and we were able to dive again for an extra 45 bucks, but I said no I'll just snorkle. This snorkel was was so awesome though, I probably should have dove again, but either way the reef was awesome. We had a reef teach the night before which taught us what to look for and how to "play" with the fish and the coral so it was awesome. They also said that Fitzroy is awesome for snorkeling/scuba diving and we are going there on Monday. Which is going to be so amazing its going to be silly. Ma - you would have been pround I didn't get burnt at all, a layer of 50 before we left the hostel and another layer after lunch. And walaa no burn.
Tomorrow I am going bungey jumping, super excited. The next day we are going to the Daintree river which is a rainforest, the only place in the world where two natural historical sights touch, the rainforests runs and touches the great barrier reef. Pretty neat. The Daintree is supposed to be a legit rainforest, we've been to quite a few places that they qualify as rainforests, but its mostly greenery and ferns. Not what I expected, you know the colorful plants and the monkeys swinging and such (like the rainforest cafe. . . . ) So anyway that will be cool. And then Fitzroy Island the next day for a Kayak tour and more snorkeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment