Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Big Beach in the Ocean

Who would expect that in the middle of the ocean there would be a massive sand island that can actually sustain vegetation and wildlife on the island? This was a sight I am certain I will never see ever again. The whole experience, from our tour guides to seeing the largest sand island in the world. Growing up I have always been taught that in order to grow plants you need to have rich soil and lots of access to water. Sand does not quite fit the description of rich soil full of nutrients, like one would believe would be needed for a rainforest. In fact there are several different types of small forests on Fraser Island, the largest sand island in the world.

Walking throughout a rainforest is one of the most spectacular feelings that one can have, and luckily we have had the opportunity to do this multiple times over the course of this trip. Fraser island had so many different little treasures to find, and was an overall great experience. My favorite part of the Fraser island adventure was the chance to walk barefoot throughout the trip. I don’t believe I put my hoes on once after the ferry ride onto the island. This was so cool, because everywhere you walked you had the cold sand in between your toes. This also created some problem, as I am still trying to find a way to get the sand out of my clothes and backpack…

G’day from Down Unda,

Brady Richards ‘14

No comments:

Post a Comment