Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

My Furry Friends

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary was my first experience seeing a Koala. At first they seem very sluggish, and not very active animals. I did find out how to get them to perform for you though, if their food source is taken from them they seem to get extremely agitated and show that they can move about. I had the opportunity to see them jump all across their sanctuary. This was a cool experience because generally they did not move what so ever as their food source are just eucalyptus leaves. The texture of their fur also through me off because I believed that it would be less dense and softer than it actually was. The fur coat that a Koala has is quite wooly and dense which was hard to understand given their warm climate. The dense fur coat saves their body heat and energy, because it is so essential to their way of life because they have so little energy they must conserve it all.

On one of our free days I got my first glimpse of a wild Koala, which was actually running about on the ground from tree to tree. This got many people very excited because this is not something that normally occurs, it is very rare to see a Koala in the wild. I would have loved to steal my little furry friend and bring him home with me, I just wish it was legal!

G’day from down unda,

Brady Richards ‘14

No comments:

Post a Comment